City of Pewaukee History
Pewaukee was set off and organized as a separate town by an act of the Territorial Legislative, approved January 13, 1840. The first recorded town meeting or election was held at the house of E.P. Maynard, April 8,1842. A committee of five was appointed to report on various sums necessary to defray the Town expenses. The committee decided that Assessors, Highway Commissioners and Supervisors should receive $1 per day for services; that the School Commissioners should receive 75 cents per day, and that the Town Clerk and Treasurer should receive compensation as Supervisors saw fit. They also reported in favor of raising $200 for incidental expenses, and for levying a tax of one-half of one cent on taxable property of the Town in support of schools. These resolutions were all adopted. The first road surveys occurred in June 1842. There were six roads surveyed this year and opened. In 1843, the road districts were increased from five to nine and in 1844, increased to thirteen. The total expenses for services of the town officers and surveyor’s fee and incidentals during 1842 amounted to $82.03. In 1843, there were 130 school children, with a school fund of $150, and 100 resident taxpayers in the town with property assessed at $1,461.50.