Voter Registration

Registration Options

By Mail

Download the Voter Registration Application (EL-131), complete the form, and mail it to the municipal clerk's office. The application must be postmarked no later than the 20th day (third Wednesday) before the election. Your form must be printed, signed, and mailed or delivered, to the clerk's office. You must always provide a Proof of Residence document when registering. If you are registering by mail, you can use any of the forms of Proof of Residence except a residential lease. If a copy of Proof of Residence is not included, the elector will be required to supply it before being issued a ballot at the polling place or before being issued an absentee ballot in the municipal clerk’s office.

In Person

Register in-person at the municipal clerk's office up until the Friday before the election at 5:00 p.m. or the close of business, whichever is later. You must always provide a Proof of Residence document when registering to vote.

At Polling Place on Election Day

Register at the polls on Election Day. You must always provide a Proof of Residence document when registering to vote.

Updating Voter Registration Information

If you move your residence or change your name, you are required to update your voter registration information, before you can vote. This is done by filling out the Voter Registration Application (EL-131) and using one of the registration methods provided above.

What To Bring

If you have been issued a State of Wisconsin Driver License or ID card that is current and valid, you must provide the number and expiration date. If your WI driver license is cancelled or expired; or your WI DOT-issued ID is expired, provide the number and the last 4 digits of your Social Security number. If you have not been issued a WI driver license or WI DOT-issued ID, you must provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security number. If you have none of these documents, you will be able to indicate the fact.

If the elector does not have a current valid Wisconsin driver’s license, Wisconsin state ID card, or social security number, the applicant may indicate this by filling in the appropriate circle in box two on the Voter Registration Application (EL-131) form. The registration cannot be processed until the elector provides this information.

If the voter has a current, valid Wisconsin driver’s license but does not know the number and did not bring it to the polling place, poll workers must allow the voter to vote by provisional ballot. The voter cannot use the last four digits of their social security number if he or she has been issued a Wisconsin driver’s license. The provisional ballot will not be counted until the voter either:

  • Brings driver license or ID number to the polling place before the polls close at 8 p.m. on election day; or
  • Transmits (via fax, email, telephone call, or personal visit) driver license or ID number to the municipal clerk before 4 p.m. on the Friday after the election

You must provide a Proof of Residence Document when registering to vote in Wisconsin. A Proof of Residence Document is a document that proves where you live in Wisconsin. See the Wisconsin Elections Commissions list of acceptable documents below.

All Proof of Residence documents must include the voter's name and current residential address. See the Wisconsin Elections Commissions Proof of Residence Guide for more information.

  • A current and valid Wisconsin Driver License or State ID card.
  • Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
  • Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card.
  • A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
  • A university, college, or technical institute identification card (must include photo), only if the bearer provides a fee receipt dated within the last nine months or the institution provides a certified housing list to the municipal clerk
  • A gas, electric, or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing no earlier than 90 days before Election Day.
  • Bank statement.
  • Paycheck or paystub.
  • A check or other document issued by a unit of government.
  • A letter on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual's residence for voting purposes.
  • Residential lease that is effective on date of registration. (Not valid if registering by mail.)
  • An intake document from a residential care facility such as a nursing home or assisted living facility.

This is not a comprehensive list, but categories of the most common types used by voters.

Additional Information

  • Photo ID is never required when registering to vote. However, a Proof of Residence document is always needed when registering to vote in Wisconsin.
  • Voters must reside at their address for at least 28 days by Election day in order to register to vote. Voters who have moved within Wisconsin less than 28 days before the election must vote from their previous address, either by absentee ballot or at the polling place. Voters who have moved to Wisconsin from another state less than 28 days before an election are only eligible to vote in Presidential elections.
  • Wisconsin law no longer allows a "corroborating witness" to provide Proof of Residence.
  • You cannot register the Saturday, Sunday, or Monday before an election, but you can register at the polling place on Election Day